Sunday, December 17, 2006

Influence




The images posted here illustrate some of the general sources for my recent paintings -- particularly the ones of gardens and water (such as "Garden Tree" the second image from the top). At the top of the column is one of Diebenkorn's "Berkeley" pictures as illustrated in Jane Livingston's book on the artist. Below my painting (third from the top) is a section from the Garden Fresco from the House of Livia at Primaporta. You can find it in the book Domus. And the last picture is of Bonnard's painting Le Bassin d'Agenor, which shows his fish swimming in a little pool. I borrowed Bonnard's Agenor for my painting of the same name. The photo posted here comes from Michel Terrasse's book Bonnard at Le Cannet.

My painting Garden Tree is acrylic on canvas, approximately 100 x 90 inches.

[To see more Bonnard images: click on the word "Influence" above and see images from a recent exposition of his Le Cannet works.]