Saturday, December 16, 2006

Dundee Still life

This is one of my favorite paintings (of my own). I love the pattern on the cloth that is so active and dimensionally ambiguous that the flowers of the cloth seem as real or more real than the flowers in the vase. I love the painting-with-the-painting of the marmelade jar, and I love the distortions through the glass jars and the way the cloth really flattens out near the horizon.

Some of the effects in this painting were "accidents." I didn't know how to consistently paint the cloth so that the foreground parts of its design would flatten out as effectively as in the rear. And I had to assemble and disassemble the still life each time I worked (or the space of a month) because if I left it out my cat would overturn the objects. So things weren't always put back into their exact positions which added to my confusion.

But I love the confusion. I love the mistakes I made. The mistakes turned out to have meaning in them, and thus they were the most fortuitous mistakes one could want. It's a very personal work.